To the Artists We Love: Please Don’t Use Auto-Tune On Your Next Album
Now that our beloved Mary J. Blige has dropped "The One" which is Auto-Tuned within an inch of its life, we can't help but fear for the rest of our faves. Many of them, we can't imagine selling their souls to the devil to satisfy a ubiquitous trend. But anything is possible these days. And, yes, we're aware that pitch correction has always been a part of music production and will continue to be. We just don't want the following artists "T-Paining it", as it were.
- Faith Evans. I can't imagine Faith doing this at this stage in her career, but I'm cautious.
- Toni Braxton. Wouldn't put it past her.
- Mariah Carey. As was clarified to me earlier, it was T-Pain that used it on "Migraine," not her.
- Whitney Houston. But you know she will. Didn't she have some horrible song with Akon? Wasn't he, like, born with Auto-Tune?
- Amy Winehouse. Who knows with this girl?
- Janet Jackson. There was a bit of it on her last album, mostly in "Feedback," but now it's time to move on.
- Tamia. I will raise seven different Hells if Tamia does this.
- Darien Brockington. I'm not necessarily worried about him (he's surrounded by enough people that won't allow him to do it), but as a pre-emptive strike--please don't, D-Brock.
- Teedra Moses. Same deal as with Tamia, I will raise Hell(s).
- Alicia Keys. I can see some dumb rapper talking her into this.
- Usher. I won't front, I still dig Usher a lot. I grew up on him, and his talent far exceeds that of the company he keeps. Stay out of the kiddie pool, Ursh. Don't use auto-tune.
- Babyface, anyone associated with Babyface or with the last name Edmonds. I am so serious.
Who would you add to this list? Is there anyone you would remove? Let us know in the comments!
(P.S. I also petition the aforementioned R&B artists not to use the words "swagger" or "hater" in their music. It's corny and played out.)